5.31.2006

Child at Play...

I mentioned in my last post that I don't often take pictures of people. I often prefer the absence of people in my images to force you to see the space or the building. That said, I am again doing a post with images of people, well, a mother and child in particular.

A few weeks back while walking through Grant Park near Michigan Ave just south of Congress, I noticed a mother and child (center) nestled among the new spring flowers in the distance. I was quite captured by this and as we walked toward the General John Logan Memorial in the distance, I took several shots of these two playing in the grass.


Zooming in, it looks as though they are right in the middle of the flowers.





Now up at the base of the memorial looking back.


As I was getting ready to put the camera away, I caught them playing paddy-cake. If this child's mother is indeed as loving as has appeared here, he is a very lucky child.


This is slightly unrelated, but I shot this fountain as I was walking towards the memorial. You can see it in the first image on the left.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love these pictures!

I am usually in Chicago mid to late April while the tulips are blooming, but before the trees have leafed out. It is such a treat to see the trees all decked out with their new leaves.

I'm not sure if it's the "newness" of the season, or just your camera, but my God, could there be a more brilliant green?!?

Thanks for the pictures, Devyn!

Chicagolvr

5/31/2006 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird, man. I took a class at Columbia right across the street called Mystical Consciousness last semester and one day we went outside and group-meditated first in a circle around those flowers, then in a circle around that fountain. Then we hugged the trees just east of there. Literally. Most ridiculous class ever.

While we were staring at the flowers, this weird old hippie dude came along and joined us and started doin' some tai-chi business or something. We tried so hard not to fall down laughing.

5/31/2006 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home