8.16.2005

Essex Inn...

While certainly not the finest example of midcentury modernism, the Essex Inn is a definite stand out along the 19th century Michigan Ave street wall.


OK, I couldn't resist....


The somewhat bland lobby does retain much of it's midcentury detail. I like the marble dividing wall (and it isn't Formica). The Le Corbusier sofa and Eileen Gray tables are a nice touch as well.


The parking garage behind the hotel has this interesting wall. I can't tell if it is painted, or an original glaze.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the past few years, I've stayed at the Essex when attending the National Haunted Attractions Show. It's been a good place for us, is pretty inexpensive in March, and the indoor pool is nice. Not the *best* place to stay on Michigan Ave, but not bad, either.

Thanks for the pix! (now my photo makes a little more sense, eh?)

BTW, I'll be in Chicago for Jazz Fest Sept 2 - 5th.

-- I

8/16/2005 8:55 AM  
Blogger Fizz said...

I stayed at the Essex Inn during my very first visit to Chicago--on tour with the Dayton (Ohio) Boys' Choir--some 20 years ago. At the time I thoguht it the height of fabulousness... but, then again, I was 11 and in the big city; Sally Mae's Motor Lodge would've served just as well.

We often had lunch in the 8th Street Deli downstairs and would sing a blessing for the staff and patrons upon finishing our meal. This gift was once returned with jazz renditions of cartoon theme songs from a cabaret trio that was passing through. The Woody Woodpecker song... Ella-style.

I lost my Smurfs billfold there...

8/16/2005 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rainbow brick is not paint but the glaze

8/16/2005 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home