7.30.2005

NYC #1- I have returned from "The City"...

I am home again, and had a great trip. The weather was as miserable (hot, sticky and moist) in NYC as it was in Chicago when I left, that is until Thursday. As a result, I didn't get to take as many photos as I had hoped. But, I have about 500 more than I did before.
The first day I was there, we were headed to a Portuguese restaurant in the Ironbound neighborhood in Newark, NJ. While in transit we stopped and wandered around the WTC area. Here is a shot of the newly complete (and currently vacant) Seven World Trade building. I am impressed that this was designed and built in a relatively short amount of time, and in doing so, they actually built a building that I think can hold it's own design-wise.


The Millenium Hilton (yes, that is the spelling) across the street from WTC was closed for a while after the disaster, but has since re-opened. The reflective quality of the windows is fantastic.


We caught a train to Newark at the new WTC Path station (2003). The station is quite nice for being a temporary structure.. It is sleek, elegant, and quite functional. This is rare example of good design happening under the pressure of a timeline by a governmental agency.


I plan to post images of what I saw in NYC mixed with my usual posts of Chicago images for the next couple of weeks, and then I will return to just Chicago.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the shot of the clouds reflected in the windows! Can't wait to see more pics.

Welcome back!

Chicagolvr

7/30/2005 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home