8.18.2005

Sharp Night Shots....

While looking through my images, I began to notice that probably less than 5% of my pics are night shots. Now, anyone who has any experience with digital cameras can attest to the difficulty of taking images at night. Keeping them from being fuzzy can be a real challenge. One word... Tripod. This is the only way to achieve a image without unwanted blur. Since most of my night shots have some blur, I thought I would post a few of my better ones (at least I think they're among the better ones) for your review. Any tips out there on how to take a better night shot?

The Navy Pier Fireworks from a couple of Saturdays ago from the roof of Marina City. Fireworks are especially challenging for me.


Taken while dining al fresco at the Big Downtown on Wabash a couple of weeks ago. I had the tripod set up on our table, and as I heard the train approaching, I pushed the shutter. Since the train hadn't gotten to the right side of the image when it began the capture, you can still see the parking garage through the train. This has become one of my recent fave's.


This is one of my fave's from last Spring. Taken at 540 West Madison (which has been a trouble spot in the past), I did a post with different angles on it in April. My relationship to 540 W Madison has had it's challenges, fortunately, I have been able to get a few good shots. You can be sure, I will also try again...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only other suggestion I have besides using a tripod is using the self-timer of the camera. That gives it a few seconds to settle down before beginning the shot. If you don't use the timer, it can still catch the initial jiggle of you touching the camera to push the shutter.

If possible, take several shots of the same thing, just to ensure quality.

-- I

8/19/2005 8:59 AM  
Blogger Devyn said...

Thanks, those are techniques I use as well. (I probably should have mentioned them in my post.) I am all about setting the 10 second timer and stepping back. I also will often take 5-8 shots of something so as to ensure that at least one of them is decent.

8/19/2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Gorgeous, as always.

8/19/2005 4:20 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

PS...have been meaning to reply to your e-mail for ages now. Will do soon!!

8/19/2005 4:20 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Yikes...make that your friend's e-mail!

8/19/2005 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home