12.28.2005

Another Loss...

Yet another cultural icon for the city of Chicago is going away. First it was the loss of the Marshall Fields name to Macy's, and now we are going to loose The Berghoff. I have shown a few of these images before, but I felt it important to show them again along with a couple of ones not shown before.


Two times during the year, the sun is just right to create this reflection on the Berghoff building. The previous one was taken in September, and this one was taking last March.


Completed in 1872, only months after the Great Chicago Fire, the two adjoining Italianate buildings give one a glimpse of what the Loop was like in the 1870's. It was discovered in the last decade or so that the building on the left has a pre-cast cast iron front which was bolted together. This is supposedly one of only two remaining cast iron front buildings in the Loop.


The restaurant opened in 1898, however, I don't know when they added the neon sign.


I shot this image last March, and it has become one of my favorite photographs that I have taken.


In May, I was standing across the street again with my camera, and attempted to recapture the essence of my previous image.


A couple more shots...





(edit) Thanks Chicagoist for the link!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those are amazing and rare shots. Another part of our city's history down the drain.

12/29/2005 9:46 AM  
Blogger EasyW said...

that's progess.

I love your site.

I'd love to see the boring, drab 222 S. Riverside Plaza buliding thru your (camera's) eyes.

12/30/2005 6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photographs are absolutely stunning! I've never seen the Berghoff in such beautiful light.

12/30/2005 1:11 PM  
Blogger Devyn said...

easyw, I remember you mentioning this before, and it has been on my list of places to get to. I am just waiting for a sunny day when I am close by, and not at work. I do work nearby, but lately it has been either dark, too cold, or too cloudy. I will try to fit it in as soon as I can.
>D<

1/03/2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger EasyW said...

Oh, sorry.. didn't realize I'd made a duplicate request. Sorry. Don't mean to be a pest.

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open. Keep up the good work.

Hey - have you seen the Tropicalia exhibit at the MCA? You might enjoy some of the great digital images that are a part of the show. Very creative and very Brazilian.

1/04/2006 6:17 AM  
Blogger Devyn said...

easyw, no worry, you aren't being a pest. I am just glad to have you as a reader. I'll have to check out the show at the MCA. I haven't been there since the Flavin show.

1/04/2006 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home