2.04.2006

"Pillars".... Err... Columns...

I remember renting a ninety year old apartment in Seattle back in '95, which had two columns in the formal entry area. When my landlord was describing the apartment for the first time, he kept talking about how it had "Pillars, two of them". He kept calling them pillars long after I moved in, reminding me that they were an amenity. This I suppose was to make up for the 1970s linoleum in the kitchen, the used commercial office carpet covered in cigarette burns glued down over the hardwood floors, and the fact that in ninety years, nobody ever managed to install a shower, tub baths only. (I immediately installed a shower at my expense... I don't really miss those days of bohemian living.) So, while shooting images for my previous post, I glanced across the street at Union Station and thought about pillars. While the two words are basically synonyms, columns is definitely the more appropriate term.

Today, I bring you pillars.


Lined up along Canal street, I imagine this was quite a presence to see while crossing the river when completed in 1913.


As seen from the inside of the portico. I really like how they have installed up-lights at the base of each column. It adds to the drama.


Top of portico

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photo with the man allllll the way at the end of the pillars rocks!

2/04/2006 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how the columns seem to glow.

Chicagolvr

2/04/2006 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose the apartment building would have looked awfully odd with just one 'pillar'.

2/05/2006 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home