2.20.2006

Thank You MAM...

I have returned from a couple of days in Milwaukee. We survived the cold (although I don't recommend vacationing during single digit weather), a bad HoJo experience, and arctic ice. I must say; while there is no doubt about my gratitude of calling 60602 my home, I had a great time in the land of cheese.

The primary purpose of our trip was to see the "Bruce Nauman Works with Light" at the Milwaukee Art Museum (MAM). Located on the lakefront, at the edge of downtown, MAM is a real feast for the eyes. The Quadracci pavilion (shown here) was architect Santiago Calatrava's first completed project in the US. Opened in 2001, the building itself is worth the price of admission alone.


Unfortunately, weather was such that they were not able to open the Burke Brise Soleil while we were there. I have seen it once on a brief visit several years ago.


The view looking down the bridge connecting the museum from downtown to the lakefront.


Same view about fifteen feet to the right.


East end of the bridge next to the prow.


About 15 feet from the prior image on the approach to the round elevator (which was very cool on it's own.).


Tomorrow... The interior!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That's beautiful!

It looks similar to the Sundial Bridge at Turtle Bay in Redding, CA. Was it designed by Calatrava?

http://www.turtlebay.org/sundial/sundial04.shtml

Sorry, I'm no good at making links, so I'll just copy and paste. (Edit if you want.)

Chicagolvr

2/20/2006 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, now I feel dumb. For some reason, I didn't get your whole post the first time...just the first picture, hence my comment about Calatrava.

Now I see the rest of your post. Sorry to be redundant. Please delete both posts if you want.

Chicagolvr

2/20/2006 9:56 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Chicagolvr,

I was at school in Milwaukee when they built it.. Yes it is.

-A

2/21/2006 3:45 AM  
Blogger Devyn said...

Cicagolvr, You happened to catch my post before it was completed. I was having an issue uploading images and had to merge two posts. Sorry for the confusion...

>D<

2/21/2006 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries, mate. :-)

Coincidentally, this month's issue of VIA (the Triple A mag) has an article on bridges in the west, one of which is the Calatrava in Redding.

Can't wait to see your shots from the inside of MAM. *snicker* (Yes, I'm really just a 12 year-old boy. LOL)

For what it's worth, it may be Blogger having tantrums. I noticed several sites over the weekend also having issues while uploading pictures.

Chicagolvr

2/21/2006 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home