2.14.2006

I See Red...

I understand why buildings change the lighting on their buildings for different holiday's, but it surprises me that Valentines day warrants the unionized manpower to change the color gels on their outdoor lighting.
So tonight, in honor of Valentines Day, and for my Valentine... I bring you a series of shots taken tonight from the top of Marina City showing buildings lit up red for the occasion.

First up, the LaSalle Wacker Building in the foreground, and the red in the background is 540 W Madison.


I took about 80 shots from the rooftop tonight, but unfortunately, the wind was not to my favor, and many of them just didn't come out. Of the several attempts to capture the Sears Tower, this one was about as good as it got. Also included... 311 S Wacker (aka: White Castle Headquarters).


Looking north, Chicago Place looming in the distance.


This pic is actually amazing when you think that I was two miles away. I am amazed at how clearly you can see the front of the Field Museum.


The top of the Heritage at Millennium Park has become a new addition to the forest of holiday lit buildings.


OK, not taken tonight, nor from the top of Marina City, but about a week ago when I was hanging out around the Lake Street Bridge. The Merchandise Mart is always a good one to rely upon to know what holiday is next. (Note the Sterling on the right in the background.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Fizz said...

The Merchandise Mart is such a beautifully lit building... any time of year.

Though the results are sometimes a bit off-putting, I've always appreciated when people [owners? property managers?] are willing to play with their building's lighting. It adds a nice touch of drama and whimsy to the evening skyline.

2/15/2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Very nice - I'm a big fan of night photos, and building photos. Can't go wrong with this set...

This is the second time I've noticed you talk about the wind screwing up your shots. Makes sense, the wind would make the camera jiggle, which will ruin a long exposure. Have you heard of anything to stop this? Heavier tripod? Stand in a giant glass box? :-)

2/15/2006 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the various color changes the buildings go through to celebrate various events.

I also like when certain buildings get "decorated" with various slogans in their windows by having lights on or off in certain offices. Example: "Go Sox"

The logistics, not to mention the time necessary to coordinate it and carry it out must be quite time consuming.

Thanks for the pics!

Chicagolvr

2/15/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger Devyn said...

I just got a new tripod which is much better quality, and heavier, but when you have a camera mounted to the top, it can still get a bit top heavy, and shudder in the wind. There is the trick of hanging a camera bag from the tripod to add weight to the base which will add stability... but my camera bag wasn't very heavy without the camera in it.

2/16/2006 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home