6.09.2006

Sofitel...

The Sofitel Hotel has been high on my list of favorite new buildings in Chicago since it was completed a few years ago. Oddly, I haven't posted on Sofitel before. So, no time like today. The pics were shot a in March.


I have had the fortune to sip several martinis in the bar, and while I haven't slept here, I have seen a couple of rooms from people I know that have. They are quite nice, I appreciate the fact that they don't look like a Hyatt or Hilton or Sheridan, or any one of the dozens of boring chains.


I really love that the windows appear to have a random pattern. While you can see the vertical support columns, the lines are blurred by the apparent randomness of windows.


The outward tilt of the building as it rises from the sidewalk, almost leaning over the street is a great visual trick to capture the eye and draw attention.


OK, so I had to throw this one in the mix... The Sofitel on the left with the differently angled Hancock in the background.

There are a few more pics on my Flickr.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *love* the Sofitel. It was the first hotel I stayed in in Chicago and it remains the most comfortable bed--hotel or otherwise--I've ever slept in.

6/09/2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger Dizzie said...

I love your photos! Chicago is such a beautiful city (even though that's not exactly what you hear over here).

Do you have one of the Kluszczynski Building?
And - if I may order in :) one of the Chicago Tribune building...?

Take care & keep snapping - your photos are AMAZING!
//Hart

6/11/2006 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home