3.02.2006

Random Marshall Field and Co...

I was running errands this evening and found myself walking through Marshall Fields. Since I had my camera with me, I stopped and took a few random shots.


Standing under the Tiffany ceiling looking up. One of the things I love about Marshall Fields is that I can take my camera out, shoot lots of pictures, and all without any hassle from store personnel or security. A real luxury in this post 911 skiddishness. I can only hope Macy's retains this same policy.


Standing under the other light court on the northwest side of the store.


OK, this was from a few weeks ago (before the decor in the previous image), but the sheer regal feeling of this space is unlike any other retail space in the country.


Back to this evening, running my errand took me through the Pedway alongside Marshall Fields. Has this been painted since the 80s?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for these pictures! That Tiffany dome is my favorite part of the store and the store is my favorite part of the city and the city is my favorite one in the USA, so you provided some beauty and light to my life today! I love the dome and have looked at it up close on the 5th floor also, which is fun.
Thanks again, Devyn!

JL (way far away and homesick in Colorado)

3/02/2006 11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work in the 1 E. Wacker tower and spent most of my lunch hours (and disposable income) at Field's....you could wander for hours - and I did! I can't believe it's going to be Macy's! While I'm stuck here in Phoenix what IS happening back home?! Maybe my field's card will be a collector's item on e-bay one of these days....it's been well used. :)

3/03/2006 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think part of the reason Field's loss stings so much is that the city is in a pivotal moment. It is losing so much of its history in the sense of famous establishments or buildings while at the same time is reinventing itself to attract residents, tourists, and business in the global economy. But as Chicagoans I think we felt that one institution would forever remain open no matter the changes, and to see that even that can be taken away is almost too much.

I, for one, will never shop at Macy's or any Federated store until they restore the Field's name. They can keep the red star in NYC, as Chicago will always be Field's green to me.

3/03/2006 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home