4.26.2006

Reflecting on 333...

My fascination with architecture goes way, way back, and I can remember reading about 333 W Wacker Drive, way, way back in the mid 80s. I remember it being one of the prime examples of post modernism, and was one of those pivotal buildings in the city. The building is one of the most popular all glass buildings in the world, and marked its architecture firm, Kohn Pederson and Fox, as a player in the big leagues.
So, when I first visited Chicago in 1998, I remember how excited I was to actually experience 333 as it sat snugly at the bend of the river. What I didn't expect was how beautifully it's curving wall would capture the sky around it. It is a constantly changing facade as the light of day shifts east to west, and every time I am there, the building looks different. These shots from last week reflect (pun intended) how the sky impacts the facade.


The glass is tinted two shades of green, alternating in horizontal bands.


The curve of 333 juxtaposed with the rectilinear facade of 191 N Wacker which was also designed by Kohn Pederson Fox, only 20 years later. (right).




Reflection of 333 (along with my head) from the window at American International Tile on the front of Merchandise Mart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home